Will I ever get the time of day with Serco!!!

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
I know I am going to probably get flamed for this but just had to get the average responses from those in the know. Does SERCO have something against Army Controllers or is there just known stigma against Army and prior Army controllers.
I live in California and I have two CTO's now on my third one and I have been applying for two airports in the area to know avail. I have visited one tower but not the other. I have some GA traffic experience total yrs as a controller 4 Army, 3 overseas contract with a 3 yr break for a Associates degree in Electronics and employment with the state as a student employee and student trainee with the Fed before the economy really took a dump.

So I would just like to get an opinion I guess, maybe at the end of the day I need to take a position at a remote site to get where I want to be but I guess I made the assumption that since I was already in close proximity that it might be easier to get hired.

Don't brow beat me to hard with your responses.

maddog68

Rookie
Jan 19, 2010
AZ
you cant just expect to walk in to the tower of your choice. check out the website and see where there are openings. pick one or more of those, then apply. that way, your foot is in the door. we have numerous openings now, so start applying. if you want a job, you can't be fixated on just two towers.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
ARMY controlling gets a bad rep since fixed wing traffic is a bit rare at places you guys work at. Most companies dont weigh ARMY experience as much as other services for this reason.

Im sure the biggest problem facing you is where you are trying to get to more than your background. Most FCTs only have 6-8 controllers in the facility total. Until one of them leave... a spot wont open up.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
Don't get me wrong I am not just assuming I can walk into anywhere. I assumed I was more marketable from a certain point of view because I was in the area and would not have to relocate. It thanks for your advice but it still does not answer my other concern on whether there is a preference for other branch controllers or not. Some of us do not have the luxury or relocating to another state and providing for two households instead of one.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Honest Answer: Is there an official preference: no. Do they take it into consideration: DEFINITELY.

9.5 times out of 10, a military controller with 4 years from the USAF, NAVY, USMC will have more experience than an ARMY controller. It is what it is... I didnt say they were better than the ARMY, but the experience and traffic exposure they will gain is far more than you are able to get from the ARMY.

If there is 1 vacancy and 2 applicants.... 1 with 4 years of very limited fixed wing on a temporary or dirt strip runway and the other with 4 years working fixed wing aircraft on a physical airport with standard equipment. Which would you choose?

They say in the ARMY that you are a soldier 1st, controller 2nd. Im sure you guys deploy sometimes and do things nowhere near ATC. Other branches of the military you are a "Controller". When they/we deploy it is mainly to work ATC.

hotvedt

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2008
I tried to get into serco until I got my job offer from the FAA. But you have to pick the places that nobody wants to go. Kodiak, AK is a good one. Serco offers employee transfers before they will hire from the outside. If there is an opening, most likely someone from a crappy middle of nowhere facility is looking to transfer out. I was given this information about a year ago from the guy who does the hiring.

The Heatles

Loving Life
Jun 15, 2008
Miami, FL
They usually require a minimum of a year at your first tower before transfers. They release a list of facilities with vacancies for current employees to choose from, should they want to transfer.

Jed

Rookie
Feb 21, 2010
If it's a busy airport(s) that you're applying to then it will probably make more of a difference on your background. I could easily see any company, not just Serco, put a resume on the bottom of the stack if they've had bad experiences with prior Army controllers at the facility. I'm in no way judging you personally or even Army controllers in general with that comment, I'm just saying what is most realistic. I don't know how long you've been in the process of trying to get hired with Serco but if you keep your name fresh in their minds it will eventually work out, given the places where you want to go have openings available.

dfiantii

Jun 8, 2009
Thank you for the insite gentlemen, I just wanted a concensus on what i was already thinking. I have three CTO's and most of my experience I can say with GA traffic I have gotten in the last yr where I am at in Iraq. MOST Army controllers only get helo experience and its true the Army says soldier first, job second. I think I was lucky in my time to get two CTO's while I was on active duty. I have been applying for two twrs in the Sacramento area since about 2007/08 so its been a while. I have visited one of the facilities and right now I am looking into visiting the other facility when i go back to the states.

atcla

Newcomer
It's not SERCo, Midwest, RVA or CI2 policy not to hire ex-army. It all comes down to the manager doing the "vetting" of the resumes. As managers we all have our own stories on who we want to hire or not. When I was a manager for SERCo, I would notify the AM of an opening. He would send me several resumes and I would narrow them down. Alot of the ones I called were no longer in the system. Look, Controller pool from everywhere. Ex-FAA, USAF, USN, Army, Marines, CTI programs, Male, Female, young, and old.. You would be hard pressed to find a manager willing to say he would hire any of them. Everyone prejudges. I hired an ex-Army controller once, the staff did not like him becaue he was ex-Army but I stood by my hire. He left after a year to become the manager at Front Range Tower. So much for them. What you have to do is this: Visit the towers you may want to work at. Go and observe the operation, keep your comments to your self, unless they are positive, meet all the guys and girls and keep in touch with the manager for an opening. He or she would rather hire someone they have met and have a little background on instead of site unseen. Don't tell them you worked 900 ops a day by yourself and be honest. The main thing you have to convince that manager of is you can mix fixed wing and helicopter traffic. If I had an opening right now, I would give you an interview. Contract towers are feast or famine. One day you are full up, and the next day you could be looking for 2 people. Keep trying and try it our way. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions. By the way, thanks for your service.