Writing Your Congressmen

WooDy300ZX

Rookie
Jan 26, 2013
Anybody out there feeling like they want to write their congressman and explain what has happened with all of this? Maybe even send a copy to the Honorable Barrack Obama?

Feb 28, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong--
not sure if this was public knowledge or not but posted at my facility was an FAA memo saying they're hiring 10,000 people over the next DECADE. With the first 5 years, they're hiring 6,000. Is it really that big of surprise to you people that so few got selected? I heard 28,000 or so applied. You can bounce off each other back and forth about who's pp is bigger with degrees and whatnot but it all boils down to--you're just a number to the FAA. Like it or not. And from what I see and anyone else actually in the agency sees, the FAA is doing what they said they are doing. Thank yourself and whatever school you went to when they promised you a job that has very limited spots. Common sense...
stfu. Hows that?

SierraBravo

Nov 22, 2011
not sure if this was public knowledge or not but posted at my facility was an FAA memo saying they're hiring 10,000 people over the next DECADE. With the first 5 years, they're hiring 6,000. Is it really that big of surprise to you people that so few got selected? I heard 28,000 or so applied. You can bounce off each other back and forth about who's pp is bigger with degrees and whatnot but it all boils down to--you're just a number to the FAA. Like it or not. And from what I see and anyone else actually in the agency sees, the FAA is doing what they said they are doing. Thank yourself and whatever school you went to when they promised you a job that has very limited spots. Common sense...
The issue here is not that we were not selected because of supply/demand. I am so tired of hearing that.

26,000 applicants were deemed "ineligible" by a 62 question personality test. Most of these applicants had already been classified as "Well Qualified" via previous AT-SAT scores. These 26,000 applicants did not even have their resumes LOOKED at. They were disenfranchised. They were never given a chance.

That is the problem, and it's a big one.

WooDy300ZX

Rookie
Jan 26, 2013
Thousands of CTI graduates have been in contact with their congressmen/women. Most of these also filed EEO complaints and there is a class action lawsuit about to move forward. The media will be on it soon.

I would encourage vets to get involved as well. They should be even more upset than the CTI folks. If anybody deserves a shot, it's those guys.
Yeah I was curious how many vets out there like myself are feeling like we can't just give up. I feel like we are owed a better answer as to why we weren't hired, especially the 10pt vets out there with tons of qualifications.

AK02

Apr 8, 2012
There are vets that made it passed the BQ. So in the end of this however many actually get hired off of this bid the majority will probably be vets. Our Vetpref doesn't even come into place until people are ranked after they take the AT-SAT. Obviously they were looking for certain answers on this BQ (who knows what they were) but it is their prerogative. It sucks but that's the way they decided to do it. I feel for all the qualified vets that just got the shaft. I know at least 10 controllers that I work with with similar qualifications that got DQ and I made it on to the next step and have no idea why. I'm guessing there will be another bid very soon. (Hopefully VRA)

account

Rookie
Nov 13, 2011
I don't have 5 years, hell I have less than one year, and I'm more than qualified NOW than 99% of the people who were selected. It's insulting. No offense to those who were selected, but it's bullshit. This government has no money, and there are many facilities critically manned and the FAA is selecting people off the street with no experience instead of FAA certified controllers who are actively (or who have prior experience) controlling traffic. There's at least 2 CPC's that were found ineligible. Give me a break. Throw that money away FAA, throw it away. It's what this government does best.

SierraBravo

Nov 22, 2011
If you people have something wrong with the way they do something LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE. If not, play their game like EVERYONE in the agency has had to do at one time in their career. Quit looking for handouts. It's always been the luck of the draw and doesn't seem like it's going to change. You're more qualified than 99% of the people?!? Apparently not...
Nobody is looking for a hand-out. We have spent YEARS and thousands of dollars trying to just get the opportunity to get a look from the FAA, and there are people who have been deemed "eligible" who didn't know what ATC was at the beginning of the year. Meanwhile we can't even get our resumes glanced over...

italk2planes

Nov 20, 2012
Seems to be a very annoying misunderstanding here in every single thread. Most CTI's are not mad for not being selected, nor do we feel entitled to the job, nor do we feel more qualified for it. Its more that we did all that schooling, 2+ years, lots of money, ATSAT testing, working hard, and stressing, lead to believe that it would make us more marketable and increase our chances of getting the foot in the door, only to get failed by a personality survey. Talk about a massive waste/epic fail. Then on top of that you have vets with 5+ years of actual experience, CTOs, etc, getting shut out. Which is total b.s.

Usm4r1n3

Trusted Member
Sep 26, 2013
Have you ever worked traffic? Also do you know the difference between sequence and separation? If not it can be tough. After that stand in line behind those of us who have been doing it for years and teach it to 20 year Olds day after day.

I talk2planes beat me to it.

MatrixVirus

Newcomer
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando, FL
Seems to be a very annoying misunderstanding here in every single thread. Most CTI's are not mad for not being selected, nor do we feel entitled to the job, nor do we feel more qualified for it. Its more that we did all that schooling, 2+ years, lots of money, ATSAT testing, working hard, and stressing, lead to believe that it would make us more marketable and increase our chances of getting the foot in the door, only to get failed by a personality survey. Talk about a massive waste/epic fail. Then on top of that you have vets with 5+ years of actual experience, CTOs, etc, getting shut out. Which is total b.s.
This. Times infinity.

freshav8tor

Trusted Contributor
Jul 19, 2009
Well said, how else do you think the FAA was going to reduce the applicant number. There are more more more announcements to come(DECADE), now if age is an issue and you went to CTI school at 28 years old, well thats your fault.

Portugal

Newcomer
Mar 1, 2014
[Everybody should be writing their congressman and senators...I am.

Biographical indicators are commonly used as INDICATORS of whether somebody fits the profile of the average ....police officer, fireman, air traffic controller, etc... They are NEVER used - except by the FAA apparently - as a "Go-No Go" tests. They are not adjusted for culture, age, education, gender nor geographical factors and they are WORTHLESS in determining whether a person will succeed in a profession. If you took the best controllers at each center, you would have several that are on each end of the spectrum - 180' opposed. Should they have been eliminated in their original application process because they did not fir the "average" profile. The FAA paid some dumb ass college professor several million dollars to come up with the work of art.

macdude06

Nov 21, 2011
What is VETS’ Role in Veterans’ Preference?
The Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA) of 1998 provides that a Veteran or other preference-eligible person who believes that
his or her preference rights have been violated may file a written complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Veterans’ Employment and Training Service (VETS). Additionally, Veterans who have been separated from the armed forces under honorable conditions after 3 years or
more of active service may not be denied the opportunity to compete for vacant positions for which the agency making the announcement will accept applications from individuals outside its own workforce under merit promotion procedures.

Idk how this works really, but maybe VETS can help get an answer?

Portugal

Newcomer
Mar 1, 2014
Mr. Obama quit posting on this board

If you people have something wrong with the way they do something LOOK FOR SOMETHING ELSE. If not, play their game like EVERYONE in the agency has had to do at one time in their career. Quit looking for handouts. It's always been the luck of the draw and doesn't seem like it's going to change. You're more qualified than 99% of the people?!? Apparently not...

ATCMarine84

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2009
Home of the Packers!!
Preaching to the choir. I waited 3 years out of cti to get the phone call. 5 years later--have three facility ratings with a radar ticket. No matter how much people bitch, Nothing. Is. Going. To. Change. That's the good thing about off the street, it gives everyone a chance. I've trained off the street, cti, and military. Guess what. It's a coin toss of who the worst ones are between military and cti (depending on which school). A good majority of the workforce prefers off the street trainees. They take a little more molding in the beginning but they don't carry over the crap they learn in the military or what they think atc is by carrying plastic airplanes around a static board.

Youre in the agency and this is your attitude? Three facility ratings and one radar ticket? So you're a tower flower? The way you and I got in is completely and absurdly different than what went on this past week. And who are you to say people would rather train OTS? In my time in the Marine Corps I was directly responsible for training over 20 people to their CTO's. I don't know what ATC world you live in but in the military and in my FAA people take pride in their experience and it's all about the quals and ratings you earn. There are no handouts. "Carry over the crap they learn". You're a joke. The military controls the exact same way the FAA does except for a very few Phraseology differences and all their ratings other than PAR which you probably don't even know what that is are FAA ratings. So, this 60 some garbage questionnaire literally told FAA rated controllers they aren't good enough to do this job that they already do day in and day out. By the way those military guys that carry over "crap" sign on die on when they work ATC. I'll explain it for you... They work for 8-10 hours straight on position 6 days a week most the time so their experience and service should outweigh any OTS that has ever or will ever apply. "A majority of the workforce prefers".. Garbage. If that's so true than why is the majority of the people I work with who are OTS, CTI, and VRA all disgusted by this bid? Why are managers calling one another discussing to one another how this is the worst thing they've seen in their careers when it comes to the hiring process.