You know what really grinds my gears???? (NSFW)

A

Adam

Stupid pilots that only acknowledge every transmission with "roger." No call sign or anything. Like they are God's gift to the world flying in a stupid little Baron or King Air.

Or just not using their call sign ever...

A controller in a TRACON recently had a deal when using visual separation between two aircraft, because even though both aircraft had each other in sight and both aircraft said they would maintain visual separation, neither of them used their call sign when saying they were going to maintain visual separation (even though you could tell by their voice who it was). So...someone reviewing the tapes in the FAA when the snitch patch went off said that the controller had a deal.

Pilots...we aren't trying to be pricks when asking you to re-state something or telling you to read back hold short instructions verbatim, or telling you to use your call sign or what not...we are doing it because we have to and the one time we don't get everything correct, something will go wrong and we will get pegged with it.

D

djmodifyd

Stupid pilots that only acknowledge every transmission with "roger." No call sign or anything. Like they are God's gift to the world flying in a stupid little Baron or King Air.

Or just not using their call sign ever...

A controller in a TRACON recently had a deal when using visual separation between two aircraft, because even though both aircraft had each other in sight and both aircraft said they would maintain visual separation, neither of them used their call sign when saying they were going to maintain visual separation (even though you could tell by their voice who it was). So...someone reviewing the tapes in the FAA when the snitch patch went off said that the controller had a deal.

Pilots...we aren't trying to be pricks when asking you to re-state something or telling you to read back hold short instructions verbatim, or telling you to use your call sign or what not...we are doing it because we have to and the one time we don't get everything correct, something will go wrong and we will get pegged with it.

OMG

Amen to that!

GLF5

Mar 22, 2009
That sucks, the 'no callsign' thing is big where I am. Nobody uses it unless they are student pilots or freshly minted private pilots. They are the best.

Along the same lines as not using the callsign and a bit more funny is when they use the last two. "roger, 5T" "Roger, 34".

WTF?

I think the cockpit voice recorder (if available) should be used to back us up in an event like that.

To answer the thread topic, when we get relieved and monitor for two minutes and then having to RECORD ourselves acknowledging that we monitored for two minutes. "Two minute overlap complete, intials." If your facility doesn't have that yet, brace yourself...it's all over the west coast.

SoCal

Rookie
Nov 6, 2008
San Diego
To answer the thread topic, when we get relieved and monitor for two minutes and then having to RECORD ourselves acknowledging that we monitored for two minutes. "Two minute overlap complete, intials." If your facility doesn't have that yet, brace yourself...it's all over the west coast.
Interesting! havent heard of that yet-but it doesnt surprise me. My sup is actually pretty stringent on the 2 minute overlap, so I am used to it, but I am sure all the older guys will gripe and moan ;P

Its funny that after reading this thread I went back to the floor and had the first guy just read back 'roger'...just a funny coincidence =) most of the pilots coming through LA Arrivals give a decent readback

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
If you're greater than 6 minutes late departing don't you get paid some overtime? or is that a thing of the past?

GLF5

Mar 22, 2009
If you're greater than 6 minutes late departing don't you get paid some overtime? or is that a thing of the past?
It's not about that...and I am not sure. That's a whole different topic right there though, overtime.

'They' (whoever they are) think a lot of people aren't monitoring for two minutes so they placed a leash on everyone. It's a joke.

irishcarbomb

Epic Member
Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
i was flying the other day at Hooks in Texas and this guy flying a baron would start every response with "Copy that, ..." Everything else was correct just had that added to the beginning...every...single...response...

BCLIFTON

Time for a new user title
Aug 30, 2008
Chicago IL (Wicker Park)
When I was in the Air Force on the 135. It use to grind my gears when I would tell a pilot to go around and he would say why after wards? Then I would respond with because I said so and you were 20 knots below approach speed and if we had lost the gust it would have been a hard landing or worse.... assclown

look_an_airplane

Newcomer
Jan 20, 2009
Lexington, KY
"Hearback/Readback" errors. Most of the Operational errors or deviations at our facility lately have been caused by inattentive pilots that are based out of OUR airport. These are the guys who receive and read back the same instructions on a regular basis. For airspace and maybe even airport familiarity I will pardon commercial pilots, due to their airport diversity, however local guys I would expect to have a general understanding of what the procedures are.

Like at every facility, when an aircraft reads back an incorrect instruction, whether it is a turn, an altitude, etc... the fault completely falls on the controller's shoulders. Now, this incident may have happened during a "slower" period of traffic, though in other instances there are a good number of aircraft operating on frequency. Never mind the two other guys that keyed up at the exact same time the knucklehead misstated his assignment. By golly that controller should have deciphered the garble and corrected the erroneous guy. Don't worry about the aircraft that needs to be turned onto the localizer, or the guy who is approaching the restricted area.

All that to say that I believe if the agency really wants the problem to be fixed then they should hold not one, but both parties accountable. As a side note, remedial training for these kinds of events is a joke. All the supervisors can tell the controllers on the boards is to "hear better." That's what we've been told.

passafist

Sep 7, 2008
NORCAL TRACON
You know what really grinds my gears....

The Pharyngeal reflex... A.K.A. The Gag reflex!!! Do women really need this annoying reflex to live... Is it vital that when something goes down their throat they choke or even vomit. This inconveniencing reflex has plagued man for years, stopping man's ability to see if the mate he chose that night is "The One". I mean seriously...

That's what really grinds my gears!!!

SoCal_ATCer

Jan 6, 2009
So Cal
give pilots there sequence...cherokee N3FD number 3 follow cessna 2 mile final. they read back the exact thing i said to them. now i understand pilots are taught to readback like the controller said it but damn. a simple "N3FD is looking" or "N3FD has traffic insight" would be just fine.

i know this is simply an error of the poor design of our antiquated system but stuck mics grind my ass. particularly when it is joe pilot who just started up and is bull shitting with their buddy. almost as bad is when the controller says "caution stuck mic on ground"...while the mic is still stuck!!!

Retty

Feb 20, 2009
Enterprise, AL
You know what really grinds my gears....

The Pharyngeal reflex... A.K.A. The Gag reflex!!! Do women really need this annoying reflex to live... Is it vital that when something goes down their throat they choke or even vomit. This inconveniencing reflex has plagued man for years, stopping man's ability to see if the mate he chose that night is "The One". I mean seriously...

That's what really grinds my gears!!!
Dude why does this grind your gears, instead it grinds mine, a female who enjoys the act of doing this but is unable to do it on a regular basis because during those rare moments of, "the Pharyngeal reflex," acting up I don't like the taste of puke in my mouth:( Hee Hee still an:angel:though...

Retty

Feb 20, 2009
Enterprise, AL
...Plus what really grinds up my gears, on a work related tip, are some student blackhawk pilots. Right now I'm working as an air traffic assistant, and I have to deal with these Arschloche everyday. Some of them really think they are, "God's gift to the sky." When in actuality they are still just students and can fail a check ride at any moment and not get to fly at all. Also, to hang out with some of these guys is the most annoying thing in the world, cause all they talk about is military and argue about who's helicopter is more badass. Seriously, they're just helicopter's and being in the military is just a job, there are numerous other topics to dicuss and debate over!!:fingerwave:

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
What really grinds my gears...is approach/center not answering the shoutline when you call them. Do I really need to call you 4 times, everytime, before you answer me?? I used to work center, so I know your just BS'ing with the R-side or the D-side sitting next to you.

BoomerSooner77

I am rubber, you're glue.
Oct 8, 2008
Plano, TX
Dude why does this grind your gears, instead it grinds mine, a female who enjoys the act of doing this but is unable to do it on a regular basis because during those rare moments of, "the Pharyngeal reflex," acting up I don't like the taste of puke in my mouth:( Hee Hee still an:angel:though...
What are you doing this weekend?