ZAE (Aero-Center Map) test.....

SOCOM

Rookie
Nov 4, 2008
when drawing this for the non-radar portion, what all does this entail ?

1) do you have to use a compass and make the angles from the airports correct ?
2) what materials are presented to you to work with ?
3) any cheat-sheets allowed ?
4) is all the information needed ? (ie: miles, angles, intersections)

thanks in advance...

Shyu

Jul 24, 2008
www.stuckmic.com
1) No, you draw it as close as you can, but you need to know the exact degree the airways come out of the vortac.
2) The map and a blank map
3) Its a memory test, what cheat sheet? But you do have all the stuff around the room to help you, like the blank map at the front of the room.
4) All the information you need is on the map presented to you.

Anything else you would like to ask sir?

SOCOM

Rookie
Nov 4, 2008
i'm just sayin, is it a blank piece of paper and they say "draw it, good luck" ???

Setarfed

Rookie
Dec 4, 2008
Georgia
I drew that map for one of my CTI classes, and the best thing is to draw it as many times as you can before you are tested on it. You may want to practice with drawing all the intersections, or drawing the radials, or drawing the mileages before you attempt to start drawing the whole thing. But repetition is the key so just keep drawing it. It seemed impossible to me at first but I scored very well on that test in the end.

Meg

Newcomer
Jun 16, 2008
They give you an outline of the area and the vortacs are printed on it too....you just label them and draw the airways in, mea's, moca's, etc

oncetrue83

Newcomer
Jun 19, 2008
Memphis
If you are worried about the Aero center map, then I don't know what you are going to to with the map you get at your center. That one you have to draw the entire area you will be working in.

ColtsATC

Trusted Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
If you are worried about the Aero center map, then I don't know what you are going to to with the map you get at your center. That one you have to draw the entire area you will be working in.
I'm drawing that map now. I miss aero center. Took the first of 4 map tests today. Day after day of drawing. So much fun lol

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
we had to do the entire center, not just your area. the aero center map was a cake walk compared to the real center maps. plus, i love how all the mea's on the aero center map is nice round numbers.

ATCs1222

Oct 14, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
we had to do the entire center, not just your area. the aero center map was a cake walk compared to the real center maps. plus, i love how all the mea's on the aero center map is nice round numbers.
I remember drawing that ENTIRE ZOA map too, omg...I was about to kill myself hahaha. You know who came up w/ that idea? Is that lady in charge from the training department that's what i heard she change the policy on those maps. New developmental had to draw the entire ZOA maps whereas before just the Area maps that you are assigned to..

Cirrus12

Epic Member
Nov 11, 2008
Purgatory
I remember drawing that ENTIRE ZOA map too, omg...I was about to kill myself hahaha. You know who came up w/ that idea? Is that lady in charge from the training department that's what i heard she change the policy on those maps. New developmental had to draw the entire ZOA maps whereas before just the Area maps that you are assigned to..
Don't you pretty much stay in one area? What's the point in learning everything if you're never going to work with most of it?

Roddy_Piper

Resident Knucklehead
Jun 15, 2008
Vegas baby
www.myspace.com
Don't you pretty much stay in one area? What's the point in learning everything if you're never going to work with most of it?
you'll work with surrounding airspace. it's not like all your airplanes originate and terminate in your sector or area. you'll need to know where their coming from and where their going. plus, LOAs/SOPs will dictate routing that is usually not in your airspace. so you need to know where those are.

it sucks, i know, but it's a nature of the beast. it only helps to know all that stuff. it's not like their making u learn pointless stuff that you'll just data dump a second after the test. well...maybe some of it u will and should.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
i'm just sayin, is it a blank piece of paper and they say "draw it, good luck" ???
Nearly. The sector boundary lines are drawn in, as well as approach airspace. VORs and VORTACs are on there too but they aren't named. Everything else has to be written....everything.

It's easy though.

SnareMV17

Rookie
Jul 12, 2009
Anyone have an good methods for memorizing the map? We just started enroute basics yesterday and I'm already thinking forward to map memorization.

DanielEtvs

Trusted Member
Jun 16, 2008
hank krakowskis
the drawing of the AERO Center map really is a joke compared to the maps you will draw when you get to your facility. that being said, you will feel like drawing the AERO center map is a daunting task and a ton of info to remember.... but in truth after a couple nights of studying it while drinking watered down OK beer, you wil lretain the info and its not too bad.

Snare buy some 3x5 index cards and make some flashcards perhaps with the Fix on one side and the the airways/radials on the other, etc. Just repitition though will make the info stick in your head youd be surprised. In the field the giant map tests are considered kind of a joke and almost hazing and antiquated with no real practical advantage other than a sort of ATC right of passage..... almost everyone dumps most of the stupid radials and mileages and stuff within a day or two after stopping studying.

ATCracer

Rookie
Feb 3, 2009
South Florida
Anyone have an good methods for memorizing the map? We just started enroute basics yesterday and I'm already thinking forward to map memorization.
First thing you need to do is get the blank map and take it to get blown up and laminated, as well as get the normal one laminated as well so you can bring it in to class. Get some dry erase markers. Start drawing the map 1 vector at a time.

First thing to do is Learn what all the Vortacs, VOR-DME's, Center airspaces and the different AEZ sectors down. Next, draw 1 airway till you can recall it without any problems, then draw it and 1 more, once you have those two, draw them and another one. Work this process till you know all the airways by heart. Then you start to add radials to all of them. I, personally, started at MLU until I knew the radials and what vector they were, and then moved to HEZ, and all the way around. The bear to remember is JAN, since there are so many. After that I memorized the MEA's, MCA's, MOCA's, MIA chart, and restricted airspace's. After all that was down no problem I tackled the biggest bear of the map, the mileages. I started with the Diamond miles, and then memorized the mileages of the entire airways 1 airway at a time.

After all the miles are done, memorize where the airports and the tags of each one and you've got the map memorized.

Do not look at the map as this massive thing you have to imprint into your brain. Little bites each day and you'll have it down. I've been here since Jan 11th, and its been barely over a week and I have it 99% memorized.

This is the way I tackled it with good results. There are tons of other very good ways of memorizing it. Find one that caters to your learning style. Have fun with it!

Good luck!

JosueZQ8

Senior Analyst
Feb 18, 2009
Amherst, OH
These people speak the truth!! It seems like an impossible task the 1st time you hold the map in your hand, but after a few nights of breaking it down like they've suggested, you'll quickly realize..."Wow, this really isn't bad? Why was I stressing so much over this!?" LOL

We use the map at CCBC, twice actually. We learn it for 3rd semester non-radar, then we learn it again for 4th semester radar, (more like a refresher since we had been using it for the past 4 months) but with the obvious radar changes, no diamond/boundry mileages, APCH airspace limitation changes, jet routes, etc. We also had to memorize the APCH plates for ILS RWY18 to GWO and NDB RWY1 to VKS.

barty

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2008
Everyone just works out a technique that works best for them. I *generally* go down an airway, and learn all of the intersections, mileages, and MEAs along it before going on to another one. Since the actual area maps are a little more complex, I'll usually do the same, but in one sector at a time just to make it a bit more digestible.

At ZME, you'll draw your high and low maps three times each before you're finished with training. When you see your actual area maps for the first time, they'll seem to be equally intimidating, but once you get a system down that works for you, they too will seem to be pretty easy. They just become tedious, some of them taking over an hour to draw from start to finish.

scope dope

the worst cpc you know
Feb 20, 2009
we had to label the entire center high and low, the airways were drawn and we just needed to add the names along with the vortacs

flyerchic0212

Oct 18, 2008
atlanta
we had to label the entire center high and low, the airways were drawn and we just needed to add the names along with the vortacs
not to mention learning to draw approach plates and all sids and stars used in your area... i would take that aero center map back ANY day!