Zau dates

n9088d

May 20, 2009
I'm going to ZKC, but I was wondering if you guys could tell me how long it took for you to get your FOL after you were offered an academy date?

I got the email from MG last Friday, and I immediately accepted (Feb 13). I haven't heard back yet in the form of an FOL or other reply. I'm trying to give as much notice to my current employer as possible, so I'd like to get my FOL as soon as possible.

n9088d

May 20, 2009
It comes in an email, right? Then they also send a welcome packet or something to our address?

My HR rep recently switched from MG to RA. But my class date email came from MG. I can't get ahold of either of them.

Mod note: It doesn't work to just initialize one rep, dude. Fixed it.

jmichalo

Rookie
May 20, 2009
Does Anyone know the vacation or sick time policy while in development training? I know we accrue 4 hours of sick and 4 hours vacation per pay period.

But I am wondering if we can use that while in training or if that is frowned upon or not possible???

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Does Anyone know the vacation or sick time policy while in development training? I know we accrue 4 hours of sick and 4 hours vacation per pay period.

But I am wondering if we can use that while in training or if that is frowned upon or not possible???
I use it all the time, but it can be frowned upon. It really depends on how your training is progressing.

It's harder to use while training upstairs in the labs, because everything is pretty condensed and you'll miss a lot of information if you take any leave. When you're in the lab you are running 2-3 problems every day with graded problems like every other day.

mikefsfr

Epic Member
May 31, 2010
Train Me.

It's frowned upon throughout your entire training process Id say. Heck even when your CPC it is frowned upon by management but at that point you could care less about management for the most part as long as your not screwing over another controller then use leave at your leisure. Ive got two years to save level 8 pay, and no CTI or OTS have made it in less than 30 months at my facility so you won't see my name on an SF71.

jmichalo

Rookie
May 20, 2009
Thanks guys,

How long is the training portion at the facility? Is it accurate they can get you to CPC once at the facility in about 18 months?

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Thanks guys,

How long is the training portion at the facility? Is it accurate they can get you to CPC once at the facility in about 18 months?
Are you talking the training just upstairs, or the total time to CPC? D-side training is about 8 weeks upstairs, then after you get all your D-sides you'll do another couple months upstairs for radar class. It's possble to CPC in 18 months, but no guarantee. Some take longer, some take shorter than that. So far at zau I've seen people check out in 13 months, and I've seen people still training on their D-sides after 2.5+ years.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Just heard this today. There were 4 ZAU students in OKC now that were supposed to arrive shortly. 3 of them washed out of OKC and only 1 will be coming to the facility now. Not sure if any of them were posters here though.

jmichalo

Rookie
May 20, 2009
I was referring to the time you are in classeroom when you first arrive. What are the typical hours or shift like in training?

I was also curious to see what the workload or study time outside of work hours that is needed while in training at the facility?

Thanks

DODO_STNX

Trusted Member
Aug 27, 2009
Chicago
I moved from my apt before my welcome packet came (had too)

Can someone fill me in with what it says about the first day etc: I have no clue what I'm supposed to do

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
I was referring to the time you are in classeroom when you first arrive. What are the typical hours or shift like in training?

I was also curious to see what the workload or study time outside of work hours that is needed while in training at the facility?

Thanks
Typically it will be a 7-3:30 shift Mon-Fri. At least it was for me while I was in training. There weren't as many people in training upstairs when I got there though, and I know for other classes they had odd hours or even weekends because they needed the students to work on the weekends so they could ghost pilot for ERAM. I don't suspect that will be an issue though.

As far as time outside the facility that all depends on the student. I almost never took anything home, but I was in a slighlty different situation. I arrived in March and was told at that time I wouldn't even start problems until October so there was no rush to finish anything. That gave me months and months to learn everything I needed to while I was at work, so I didn't really need any additional outside time. You guys will be on a much tigher schedule, so I'd say on some nights you could expect 1-2 hours extra a night or more depending on what you're working on and when it's due. Of course they can't 'assign' you homework because you won't be paid for it, but a lot of nights it's going to be in your best interest to take your work home when you've got a massive map test due the next morning.

ineedatc

Trusted Contributor
Dec 14, 2008
Chi-town
There was a class where 10 of 18 washed out. Some say this was a class who did not want to study.

You can not let up on studying. They suggest 3 hour a nite six days a week in non radar/radar. Regardless of how easy Basics seems (I thought it was tough, but perhaps my being unemployed for 14 months did not help either. I averaged a 90 on the block tests and an 86 on the final).

I just take it one day at a time.

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
There was a class where 10 of 18 washed out. Some say this was a class who did not want to study.
Is that the class where 3 of 4 ZAU students washed out? Pretty brutal numbers rights there, I don't think there were 10 washouts the entire time I was in OKC!

ineedatc

Trusted Contributor
Dec 14, 2008
Chi-town
Is that the class where 3 of 4 ZAU students washed out? Pretty brutal numbers rights there, I don't think there were 10 washouts the entire time I was in OKC!
Not sure. I think in the month and half I have been here,we have been told about 25-30 people who have washed out. There have been A LOT of people fired for cheating. SO not worth it.

I can't do the job...I cant do it. But the wash out numbers definitely seem to have people panicking and feel like they need to cheat.

jmichalo

Rookie
May 20, 2009
Ok thanks for the explanation.

Should clarify, im referring to after the academy.

So when does the swing shift really kick in? When you make Cpc?

mbalunda

Epic Member
Jan 31, 2009
Ok thanks for the explanation.

Should clarify, im referring to after the academy.

So when does the swing shift really kick in? When you make Cpc?
As soon as you start training on the floor. So after your 8 weeks upstairs you'll start a rotating schedule with swings and days and you'll most likely no longer have Sat - Sun off(Although that just depends on your training team)